Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Big 3

Over the weekend, we finally managed time to celebrate my birthday proper. Unfortunately, that meant giving up the chance to pop by the Motherhood fair again. So we missed out on all the buys that I wanted to get!!! :( But but but!! Heard from Shan that there'll be another fair at Marina Square on 27th-29th June, this time round by Young Parents! Doesn't seem like much from the web page but hope it has as many deals too! Janice Tang, my JC tutor is the editor for some Young Parents magazine. Maybe she'll be there? ;P Anyway looking forward to that then.

We had a lazy Saturday breakfast at Borders Cafe. It was really nice lazing around in the cafe, Ming sipping his tea, flipping the papers, while I had to make do with OJ, as the rain pattered away outside. Borders serves a decent range of breakfast but only 2 types of sets. Food was overall pretty good. Somehow the ambiance was perfect, and I couldn't help but wonder how many more times we can enjoy such peace before the baby comes along, although I'm sure we'll be too busy to miss it ;P.

After that, we went shopping for my birthday present. Ming had wanted to buy it first but when I heard how much he wanted to spend, I certainly thought I should be there to choose the present lest I didn't like it! We browsed several designer boutiques like LV, TODs, Dior, Gucci, Ferragamo, Burberry etc but I really couldn't find a bag I liked. I guess I'm not really into the branded look. What irks me is the long queues people had to tolerate in order to enter the boutiques! Gucci and TODs fair enough, I guess since they were having like some mega-sale or something, looking at the crowd. But LV? No sale, still got to queue wor... Singaporeans must be getting richer. And many weren't just window shopping I gathered, from the number of paper bags floating around the stores. Given up on bags, we scoured stores for Tag Heuers, Omegas, Longines and Rolexes. While i do feel a pretty penny is better spent on watches, and many did catch our eyes, but I guess I really didn't want to fork out a couple of thousand bucks for a watch either. Hee, penny-pincher me, guess I would rather spend the money on a nice piece of jewelry, although honestly, there isn't much chance to wear them. I'm seldom required to go for formal functions afterall. I mean this was unlike the lasik or the braces I did; which although those cost much more, but they are always with me. A bag or a watch, and I feel obligated to carry it, restricted from changing around as and when I like. Well, I guess its just me ;)

Later, we had dinner, after a brief rest stop at home, at a very nice little joint called Absolute Haven. I didn't know of this restaurant before but apparently, it had good reviews online. We placed our orders based on online reviews and weren't dissappointed. I ordered the Chicken Roulade: Bacon-spinach rolled in slice of chicken thigh, served with champagne cream sauce and avocado salad, while Ming had the Ribeye Steak with Port Wine Sauce: Ribeye steak grilled to your liking with port wine sauce, served with potato gratin and sugar peas.

Overall, a pretty enjoyable day; a good way to celebrate what's probably our last chance to enjoy a guilt-free romantic night out just the two of us. Once the baby is here, surely it would be much harder for us to slip out and enjoy private time alone, without cares or worries about the child right?

No comments: