Monday, November 10, 2008

Mini Misadventure

It was raining all of yesterday. I had intended to collect a package I ordered online from the post office in the morning, but the drizzle kept me away. I thought I could collect during lunch when I went out to ta bao, but it was raining then too. All the way til the evening, the rain finally seemed to give way. So at 4.30pm, I hurried downstairs, baby in pram, as the post office closed at 5pm.

To my dismay, still slight drizzle. But nevermind, I lowered the pram cover and hurried to the post office. All was fine until baby decide to become fussy and cried inconsolably in the pram. She stopped when I carried her so I was quite bewildered. She had slept in the pram on her own previously without any fuss. Stranded, I hovered in the void deck somewhere in between post office and home as I tried to convince baby to settle in the pram. We would move off to the next void deck where she would fuss again and I had to stop again to carry her. Some part of the way, I tried to carry her and maneuver the pram with one hand until finally we got to our own void deck. While waiting for the lift, I carried her. There were 3 other very understanding passengers who helped me hold the door and exit easily.

All in all a great learning experience =)

On a sidenote, I realise that many Singaporeans are actually quite considerate. I noticed this even when I was pregnant, when more often then not, I would get a seat even during peak hour on the notoriously crowded NEL. Now, I notice smokers actually looking out that I'm with a baby and averting their cigarettes or their smoke expelled. People would hold the doors and allow me to enter first if I was carrying the baby. Of course, it doesn't happen all the time. There are still black sheep who would inch in front of me and the pram to get out ahead of us. But perhaps there is marked improvement in graciousness afterall.

No comments: